Lantern Gallery Copper Deck and Railing, is the exterior deck called the gallery and is located outside the Lantern Room. A temporary repair in 2010 of asphalt rolled roofing and bituminous waterproofing patch has protected the lighthouse tower and watch room from major water intrusion. However, the service life of this patch has expired and it is time to return the Lantern Gallery to its original copper deck cladding. This will project will include: a new deck surface constructed of copper sheet metal, copper gutters, fascia and other exterior copper details, repair and attachment of railings. The estimated cost of this repair is $80,000.
Fog Signal Building: Exterior Double Doors and Windows, many EBLS guests and volunteers will remember blowing wind and rain penetrating the south side door and windows opening onto Walter's Quarters. Walter Fanning altered the Radio Room to become his quarters while living on the island. Walter's Quarters has always held special prominence for East Brother-- his dedication to EBLS continues to be an inspiration to us all. The new doors will provide weather protection with an over door cover to prevent water intrusion and the wood windows will be custom fabricated based on historically accurate details. The estimated cost of door and window project is $20,000.
East Brother Light Station was built in 1873 as an aid to mariners in the San Pablo / San Francisco Bays. After many years as an automated station, and under threat of destruction and replacement with a light on a pole in the middle of the island, the facility was taken over by a non-profit 501 c3 California Corporation under license from the US Coast Guard.